Vaccines, Germs, and Knowledge
Vaccines for COVID-19 have led to questions, debates, and polemics on both their safety and the political and geopolitical dimension of their use. We propose to take a step back on both the history of this practice and how current theories in immunology understand it. Both can contribute to providing a rational assessment of COVID-19 vaccines. This assessment cannot consider vaccine as an isolated procedure, and we discuss its integration with the broader question of knowledge and politics in the COVID-19 pandemic.
keywords: epistemology, immunology, politics
- Castrillón, Fernando and Marchevsky, Thomas (Editors). Coronavirus, Psychoanalysis, and Philosophy: Conversations on Pandemics, Politics and Society. Routledge. 2021.
- West, BJ. Where medicine went wrong: Rediscovering the path to complexity. Vol. 11. World Scientific, 2006.
- Burnet, FM.“A modification of Jerne’s theory of antibody production using the concept of clonal selection.” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians 26. 2 (1976): 119121. doi:https://doi.org/10.3322%2Fcanjclin.26.2.119 (reprint of 1957, Australian Journal of Science)
- Matzinger, P. The evolution of the danger theory. Interview by Lauren Constable, Commissioning Editor.Expert review of clinical immunology 8. 4 (2012): 311–317. 10.1586/eci.12.21
- Gilbert, SF, Tauber, AI. Rethinking individuality: the dialectics of the holobiont. Biol Philos 31. (2016): 839–853. 10.1007/s10539-016-9541-3
- Rook, GAW. Hygiene Hypothesis and Autoimmune Diseases.Clinic Rev Allerg Immunol 42. (2012): 5–15. 10.1007/s12016-011-8285-8
- Pradeu, T, and Vivier, E. “The discontinuity theory of immunity.” Science immunology 1. 1 (2016): AAG0479. doi: 10.1126/sciimmunol.aag0479
- Thomas-Vaslin V A complex immunological idiotypic network for maintenance of tolerance. Front. Immunol. 5. 369 (2014). doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2014.00369
- Montévil, Maël, and Matteo Mossio. “The Identity of Organisms in Scientific Practice: Integrating Historical and Relational Conceptions.” Frontiers in physiology 11. 611 (2020) doi: 10.3389/fphys.2020.00611
- Sayaka, M and Yusa, Y. Extreme autotomy and whole-body regeneration in photosynthetic sea slugs.Current Biology, published online March 8, 2021; doi: 10.1016/j.cub.2021.01.014
- Stiegler, B. The Age of Disruption. Polity Press, 2019.
- Lotka, Alfred J. "The law of evolution as a maximal principle." Human Biology 17.3 (1945): 167-194.
- De la démocratie en Pandémie. Santé, recherche, éducation.Barbara Stiegler. Gallimard, 2020
- Hansen, Pelle Guldborg. “The definition of nudge and libertarian paternalism: Does the hand fit the glove?.” European Journal of Risk Regulation 7.1 (2016): 155-174.
- Naomi Klein. Screen new deal. The Intercept. (2020) https://theintercept.com/2020/05/08/andrew-cuomo-eric-schmidt-coronavirus-tech-shock-doctrine/
- Montévil, Maël. “Measurement in Biology Is Methodized by Theory.” Biology & Philosophy 34. 3 (2019): 35.10.1007/s10539-019-9687-x
- Morand, S.. Emerging diseases, livestock expansion and biodiversity loss are positively related at global scale. Biological Conservation 248. (2020): 108707.
- Horton, Richard. “Offline: COVID-19 is not a pandemic.” Lancet (London, England) 396. 10255 (2020): 874. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)32000-6
- Moodie, Rob, et al. “Profits and pandemics: prevention of harmful effects of tobacco, alcohol, and ultra-processed food and drink industries.” The lancet 381. 9867 (2013): 670-679. 10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62089-3
- Bernard Stiegler and the Internation collective. Bifurquer. Il n’y a Pas d’alternative. Les liens qui libèrent, 2020